- I am vegetarian, not vegan, so I often snack on Triscuit crackers with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese; my husband loves Jolly Time popcorn; I make bleu cheese dressing from crumbled bleu cheese, chopped green onions, lots of minced garlic and mayonnaise - this is delicious as a dip for fresh vegetables; graham crackers & peanut butter. Yum, I am hungry now!
- Lets see... nut butter on celery, apples, dark chocolate squares, or bread with raisins. Tofutti with crackers, celery, or cucumber (with Tapatio hot sauce- yum). Hummus with veggies (cucumber, carrots, etc.) or tortilla chips. And of course chips/salsa/guac, sesame sticks, trailmix, etc. Or my favorite midnight snack of raw onion and tofutti on a sandwich. Okay and now I'm hungry...
- —Guest guest
What I snack on
- Cherries, a juicy orange, Crisp Pink Apple. I always have baked cashews, peanuts, and almonds on hand. Toast with peanut butter and honey or baked pita wedges with PC masala hummus. All very yummie, quick, and satisfying!
- —Guest ElaineR
- Tortilla Chips and salsa with refried beans or tortilla chips with hummus.
- —Guest Mitzi
Don't knock it till you've tried it
- I read about kale chips and scoffed, "My kids'll never go for that!" But I made them anyway, and my older boy couldn't get enough of them! They're a great alternative to any kind of bagged chip. Just wash and chop a head of kale into large pieces, leaving thick stems out. Spread them out onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Add a sprinkling of salt and roast in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes, shaking the pan and checking occasionally to make sure they don't burn. They're done when they're dry and crackly. We're big Spongebob fans, so we call them "kelp chips" at our house.
- Snacking is a challenge. I like a combination of fruit (tonight, its cherries), and raw vegetables with dip (hummus). Dakon radish, celery, cumcumber, carrot, and broccoli make excellent dipping vehicles wit homemade hummus. I also make banana frozen dessert with cocoa, and cinnamon, sometimes I add raisins. I try where possible to stay away from salt, and fat.
apple and hummus without tahini
- I slice an apple into 8 pieces and lightly coat each piece with hummus from Trader Joe. It's very satisfying and filling.
- —Guest sreich33d
Tasty but bad for me
- Well, in the name of honesty: Veggie hot dogs, Daiya vegan cheese, fried U-don noodles sprinkled with sea salt and shredded nori, crackers and hummus, chips and salsa/guacamole, raw cashews, way too much almond milk, occasionally popcorn with evoo, salt, and pepper, vegan multi-grain bread with raspberry honey and almond/hazelnut/fruit butter, occasionally chips, veggie samosas, and occasionally chocolate, if it doesn't contain animal products other than a bit of dairy.
- —Guest Veggie_junk_food
Sometimes I just want chips...
- I do my share of good-for-me veggies and fruits, but sometimes, I just want crunchy and salty CHIPS! I have found 'Beanitos' Pinto Bean & Flax Chips hit the spot! Corn free, low GI, high fiber, gluten free, 4 gm protein, and tasty! I am lucky to live near Ann Arbor, MI, where we have great grocery stores that offer tons of good choices: Arbor Farms, Trader Joe's, Plum Market, TWO Whole Food and even our big chains are on the right path.
- —Guest Susan
- We bought a Nesco dehydrator. Now we snack on bananas, apples, pears and cantaloup. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and stevia on the bananas.. wow, sweet. Worth buying a dehydrator.
- —Guest larry
- Frozen red grapes make a wonderful summertime snack. Wash and dry the grapes, spread them on a cookie sheet, and place it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Grapes can then be placed in freezer bags and enjoyed whenever you like.
Sweet or salty snacks
- I love chips but have been off them for 4 months now and I replace them with no salted crackers and vegetables slices (cucumbers, celery, carrots, peppers) which I dip in hummus. I enjoy a piece of chocolate now and then but most of the time I replace it with cut off fruit, or fruit salad home made (put your favorite fruits) or dried cranberries with no salt mix nuts.
- —Guest Nuts, cucumbers, cranberries
I snack on popcorn!
- I pop popcorn in either coconut oil or peanut oil with just a little sea salt. I also love dark chocolate with nuts.....yum!
- —Guest Popcorn and nuts
- I like veggies with bean dip. (salsa, refried beans and some nutritional yeast, than heat slightly) Yum! Or veggies and apple wedges with natural almond butter to dip. Or raisins, peanuts and a small amount dark chocolate chips. All good!
- —Guest here it is
- I love the cocoa almonds after dinner. I have to confess that I cannot give up potato chips. If someone has a suggestion on a substitute I would love to hear it!
- —Guest Vegan