Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, uncooked
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 -12 ounce can chick peas, drained
- 1 -12 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped, peeled and seeded
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste (if using water)
- (optional) 1 can of cooked corn, drained may be added
Sautee green onions in vegetable oil for just a minute or two.
Combine green onions with bulgur wheat, and remaining ingredients and serve hot. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Makes 8 servings of bulgur wheat pilaf.
Nutritional information, per serving:
One serving provides approximately: 164 calories; 9 g protein; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g fat (0 g saturated); 9 g fiber; 0 mg cholesterol; 120 mcg folate; 2 mg iron; 260 mg sodium
This is a low-calorie, low-fat and cholesterol-free vegetarian and vegan recipe.