New to vegetarian cooking and eating? Start here!
Thinking of going vegetarian?
Vegetarian? Vegan? Ovo? Pesco? What's it all mean and how can you do it? If you're thinking about becoming vegetarian or know someone who is, start here to learn what you need to know.
- What is a vegetarian?
- What is a vegan?
- Types of Vegetarians
- Best Vegetarian Cookbooks
- How to Go Vegetarian
- Readers Respond: Tips for Going Vegetarian
- Readers Respond: Your reasons for Going Vegetarian
- Common Questions About Vegetarianism
- Glossary of Foods and Terms
All about vegetarian food: What is is, what it isn't, and how to use it.
- 7 Vegetarian Foods to Try
- Where can I find vegetarian food?
- Vegetarian Shopping List
- Tofu 101: What it is, and what to do with it
Nutrients you need and where to find them, as well as nutritional information and tips for healthy living.
- Nutrients you Need: Protein, Calcium and Iron
- Protein Sources for Vegetarians
- 7 Tips for Vegetarian Health
- More Vegetarian Nutrition Help
Vegetarian and Vegan Substitutes
Many of your favorite foods have a meat-free, dairy-free or egg-free version. Here are a few simple vegetarian and vegan substitutes to get started in making the transition to a meatless or vegan diet.
- Milk Substitutes
- Egg Substitutes
- Butter Substitute: Non-Dairy Vegan Margarine
- Cheese Substitute: Vegan Soy Cheese
- Mayonnaise Substitute: Egg-free Vegan Mayonnaise