This authentic meatless Mexican recipe is courtesy of Chef Aquiles Chavez and Avocadoes from Mexico.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion, divided
- 1 dried chile de arbol
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ripe avocadoes
- 1 cup 1/4-inch cubes queso fresco or mild feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional garnish
Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, coarsely mash the avocados. Stir in cheese, remaining 1/2 cup onion, the cilantro, Serrano chile, salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot; add a tortilla and warm 30 to 60 seconds on each side.
Remove tortilla to work surface and spoon about 1/3 cup avocado filling onto center in a crosswise mound. Roll sides of tortilla over filling and set aside fold side down. Repeat to use all of filling and make 8 rolls.
Remove chile from vegetable broth. In a blender, combine beans and broth; blend until smooth. Return to saucepan and bring just to a boil, about 5 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup bean sauce.
Divide remaining bean sauce among 4 plates. Place 2 rolls on the sauce on each plate; drizzle remaining bean sauce over rolls. Top with onion, crumbled cheese, and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Serve your vegetarian enfrijoladas immediately.
Makes four servings of vegetarian enfrijoladas.
Like these enfrijoladas? Here's more fantastic meatless Mexican recipes you'll enjoy:
- Frijoles Negros (Black Beans)
- Tempeh and pineapple fajitas
- Mushroom Fajitas
- Vegetarian Posole Soup with Hominy
- Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Quick Seven Layer Dip Recipe
- Slow cooked vegetarian tempeh "carnitas"
- Vegetarian Chili Flautas
- Enchilada Casserole
- 11 ways to make homemade guacamole
- More vegetarian and vegan Mexican recipes