See also: More Vegetarian Indian recipes
- 1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, whole seeds or ground
- 2 whole cloves
- dash pepper, to taste
In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the margarine. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the onion and spices to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl.
This Indian food recipe is both vegetarian and vegan.
Makes four servings of yellow split pea dhal.
Nutritional information (from Calorie Count):
Fat: 3.5 g; Saturated Fat: .6 g
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Total Carbohydrates: 32.8g, 11%
Dietary Fiber: 13.2g, 53%; Protein: 12.5g
More dhal (or dal) recipes:
- Curried Chickpeas and Dahl
- Easy Daal Soup (Vegetarian Lentil Soup)
- Crockpot Curried Rice and Lentil Dahl
- Creamy Indian Black Lentil Dhal
- Palak Ki Daal (Daal with Spinach)