See also: More vegetarian Indian food recipes
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil. divided
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half
- 1/3 tsp mustard seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mango powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (a mixture of curry, cumin and coriander can make a reasonable substitute)
- dash salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
In the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil, heat the mustard seeds, bay leaves, chilies, ginger and onions for a few minutes.
Add the eggplant and remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 6 to 8 more minutes.
Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.