- 1 tsp active dry yeast (1/2 package)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy milk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4-2 cups bread flour
- oil for cooking
- additional olive oil to brush the top
Add in the sugar, soy milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough, about 1 3/4 to 2 cups. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 6 to 8 minutes, or until smooth.
Lightly oil a bowl, then place naan dough in the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside. Let dough rise for one hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
After rising, punch down the dough then roll into golf ball-size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cover with a towel and allow to rise again until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Preheat a pan to high heat and lightly oil. Roll each ball of dough into a thin circle then add to pan one at a time. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles begin to brown and brush the top side with additional olive oil. Turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the other side.
Here's a few more vegetarian and vegan Indian food recipes to try:
- Vegetarian lentil sambar recipe
- Easy mint and cilantro chutney
- Baked vegetarian samosas with peas and potatoes
- Vegetarian coconut curried lentils
- Mixed Indian-spiced vegetables (subji)
- Fried paneer pakoras
- Indian tandoori-spiced grilled tofu
- Aloo matar (Indian spiced potatoes and peas
- Dairy-free vegan mango lassi recipe
- Even more vegetarian Indian food recipes