- water for soaking
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or peanut oil
- 1-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, chopped thin
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Over medium heat, warm oil in a sautee pan, and add cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves and peppercorns. sautee for just 10-15 seconds, then add chopped onions and heat until well cooked, about 6-8 minutes.
Add uncooked rice, and toast for 20-30 seconds, just until lightly browned, then add water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and heat for 15-20 minutes, until rice is cooked through.
Makes three servings of Indian basmati rice.