- 6 oz. thin rice noodles, also called bean thread noodles
- boiling water for cooking noodles
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 package tempeh
- about 1 cup sweet and sour sauce, divided
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced thin
- 1/2 snow peas, sliced thin
- 2 large green onions, sliced diagonally
- Fresh basil leaves, ribbon-cut
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Cut noodles in half or thirds then return them to the bowl. Add sesame oil and toss until evenly coated. Set noodles aside.
In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the tempeh to the skillet in a single layer. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning pieces over halfway during cooking. Transfer to medium bowl. Repeat with 1 tablespoon of canoloa oil and remaining tempeh.
Pour half of the sweet and sour sauce over the tempeh in bowl; toss to coat tempeh. Set tempeh aside. To the hot skillet, add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add bell pepper, carrot, snow peas, and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Transfer to bowl with noodles. Add tempeh mixture; gently toss until combined.
To serve, spoon noodle mixture into individual bowls; drizzle with remaining sweet and sour sauce. If desired, garnish with basil, cilantro, or sesame seed.