See also: More homemade vegetarian chili recipes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, diced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 4-ounce can sliced green chilis
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans or chili beans
- 1 8 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 small can corn (optional)
- fresh cilantro to garnish (optional)
In a large soup or stock pot, sautee the onions, garlic and bell peppers in the remaining olive oil until just barely soft.
Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients, except cilantro and including the tempeh.
Allow to simmer for at least twenty minutes and up to forty minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding a bit more liquid as needed.
Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh minced cilantro.
Makes 6 servings tempeh chili.
Nutritional information, per serving:
Total Fat: 10.0g, 15% daily value (based on a 2000 calorie diet) Saturated Fat: 1.7g, 8% Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 200mg, 8%
Total Carbohydrates: 56.9g, 19%
Dietary Fiber: 13.8g, 55%
Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 103%, Calcium 13%, Iron 36%
Nutrition Grade: A