Scroll down for more healthy and hearty homemade meatless chili recipes to try. Recipe courtesy of Bush's Beans.
See also: More homemade vegetarian chili recipes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 2 cups onion, chopped small (about two medium-large onions)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced about 1/4 inch
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can white beans (use cannellini beans or Great northern beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
Add the bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. If the bottom of the pan begins to scorch, add a small amount of water.
Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, cannellini or Great Northern beans, corn, water, cumin, chili powder, curry powder, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve your homemade two-bean chili with sour cream, topped with grated cheese or, if you're eating low-fat or vegan, some fresh chopped scallions. This meatless chili is excellent over rice or with a hearty chunk of homemade cornbread dipped in.
Serving size: 10 servings
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from Fat: 22
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g, 4%; Saturated Fat 0g, 1%
Sodium 313mg, 13%
Carbohydrates 29g, 9%
Dietary Fiber 7g, 29%
Protein 7g, 14%
Sugars 4g, 0%
Vitamin C 30mg, 51%; Calcium 48mg, 6%; Iron 2mg, 20%; Thiamin 0mg, 10%; Niacin Equivalents 2mg, 14%; Vitamin B6 0mg, 16%; Magnesium 31mg, 11%, Folate 42mcg, 23%; Vitamin A - IU 1221IU, 24%
Cholesterol 0mg, 0%
Potassium 392mg, 11% Like this recipe? Scroll down for more homemade vegetarian chili recipes to try, including easy chili, whole grain chili and more recipes to try.