Recipe and photo by the Soy Foods Council.
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp shallot or onion, minced
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- Olive oil
To prepare the rub, combine the garlic, paprika and cumin; mix well. Set aside.
Cut the tofu in half lengthwise to make two "steaks" abut 3/4-inch thick. Brush lightly with olive oil. Press the rub into both sides of the tofu steaks.
Place tofu in a grill pan coated with oil or directly on the cooking grate over direct heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn the tofu steak with a pair of tongs and a flat spatula if necessary. Sear the second side and continue grilling until done, about 3-5 minutes.
Cut each tofu steak in half to form 2 triangles. Serve topped with chimichurri sauce.
Makes four servings of grilled tofu.
See also: How to grill tofu