Looking for a grilled mushroom sandwich recipe? Try this one. Its an easy vegetarian sandwich made with grilled mushrooms and bell peppers on top of a sesame seed bun with a mozzarella cheese spread.
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 2 large golf-ball sized balls fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced in half horizontally
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into 4 long pieces
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- alfalfa sprouts, onions or your favorite vegetable (optional)
Grill or broil the mushrooms about 3 minutes per side or until tender. Grill peppers (do not peel) until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Skin will be wrinkled and lightly brown.
Slightly toast the buns on the grill and spread the mozzarella mixture evenly on the bottom of each bun. Cover with mushroom slice and red pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition: Each serving contains approximately: 294 calories; 13 g protein; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g dietary fiber; 9 g fat (3 g saturated); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 mcg folate; 3 mg iron; 449 mg sodium.