This recipe can be used to make either vegetarian Mexican grilled stuffed chile rellenos using poblano peppers, or, if you don't have poblanos, you can stuff green bell peppers instead for a dish similar to traditional chile rellenos. For a vegan and reduced fat version, omit the cheese.Recipe courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
If you like vegetarian chile rellenos, you may also want to try these vegetarian chile rellenos with black beans.
Looking for more vegetarian or vegetable grill recipes? Look no further! There's plenty of vegetarian and vegetable grill recipes here.
- 6 large poblano chiles or green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 28 ounce can vegetarian baked beans, drained
- 1-3 tsp hot sauce, to taste
- 12 ounce Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onion, garlic, jalapenos, red bell pepper, cilantro and cumin, and cook over medium heat until golden brown for about 4 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in baked beans, hot sauce and 8 ounces of cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed chiles and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Set up grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. Arrange the chillies on the grill away from the heat. Cook until chillies are tender and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from grill and serve at once.
Enjoy your vegetarian chilie rellenos!
Like these healthy vegetarian chili rellenos? Here's more fantastic meatless Mexican recipes you'll enjoy:
- Frijoles Negros (Black Beans)
- Tempeh and pineapple fajitas
- Mushroom Fajitas
- Vegetarian Posole Soup with Hominy
- Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Quick Seven Layer Dip Recipe
- Slow cooked vegetarian tempeh "carnitas"
- Vegetarian Chili Flautas
- Enchilada Casserole
- 11 ways to make homemade guacamole
- More vegetarian and vegan Mexican recipes