Thai mango salad is a popular dish in Thailand, where roadside stalls and wandering street vendors sell it fresh and made to order as spicy as you like it. Though it's usually made with fish sauce and dried shrimp, this vegetarian and vegan version uses soy sauce, salt and lime juice instead. Temper the heat by reducing the number of chilis, and be sure to use firm, underripe mangoes in this recipe, which is usually made with green mangoes.
- 2 firm mangos, diced or grated
- 2-3 small green chilies, deseeded and minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp sugar or honey or agave nectar
- juice from one lime
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- salt, to taste
Toss together all ingredients thoroughly. Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
Allow the flavors to mingle for at least 30 minutes before serving.