Thai coconut soup is an easy and flavorful vegetarian and vegan soup to try. To make it a full meal, add extra tofu and vegetables and serve with steamed rice. Although this recipe calls for mushrooms and carrots, just about any kind of vegetable will do. I like broccoli and tomatoes in coconut soup. You may also prefer to use sauteed tofu in this coconut vegetable soup recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small red chili peppers, minced, or 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 12 ounce can coconut milk
- 5-6 thin slices ginger (or galangal, if you have it)
- 5-6 1-inch slices lemongrass
- juice from one lime
- 1 16 ounce package tofu, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Reduce heat to low and add the vegetable broth, coconut and remaining ingredients, except for cilantro.
Allow to simmer over low heat for at least 15 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro just before serving.
Enjoy your vegetarian Thai coconut soup!