- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 29 ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 16 ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- cooking spray or olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- lime wedges
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray, place tortillas on sheet and spray tortillas with cooking spray. Cook approximately 10 minutes. Cut tortillas into strips.
Top soup with cheese, tortilla strips and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with lime.
Makes 8 servings of vegetarian tortilla soup.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Total Fat: 12.5 grams
Cholesterol: 16 mg
Dietary Fiber: 19.5 grams
Protein: 35.5 grams
Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 25%, Iron 51%
Like meat-free soups? Here's more vegetarian and vegan soup ideas to try: