Recipe courtesy of Crave Brothers Cheese
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake, portabella, crimini, white button)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup Port Wine
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
Add vegetable broth, Port wine, and thyme. Heat to boiling. then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors.
Working in batches, carefully ladle broth mixture into blender and puree until smooth. Pour puree into large bowl.
Repeat with remaining mixture, leaving one to two cups unpureed for texture.
Return pureed soup to sauce pot. Add cream, lemon juice, black pepper, and mascarpone.
Heat soup over low heat just until heated through and well combined. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with crusty bread or breadsticks.
Makes four servings of gourmet mushroom cream soup.
Like meat-free soups? Here's more vegetarian and vegan soup ideas to try:
- 10 ways to make vegetable soup
- Most popular reader-approved vegetarian soups
- 7 ways to make tomato soup
- Curried Split Pea Soup
- Vegetarian Bean and Barley Soup
- Spinach and Mascarpone Soup
- Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
- Cold vegetarian soups
- Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- Gingered Carrot Soup
- 10 vegetarian bean soups