Like cooking with barley? Here's more healthy barley recipes to try.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Mix in 6 cups vegetable broth, mushrooms, lentils, barley, tomato paste, thyme, curry powder and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 60 to 70 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, but not mushy.
Blend in remaining broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf and serve. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 186 calories, 10g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 4g fat, 1092mg sodium.