Vegetarian baked beans with barley recipe courtesy the National Barley Foods Council.
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pour cooked barley into large bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Pour into 2-quart baking dish. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Makes 12 servings.
Per serving: calories 212, protein 6g, carbohydrates 47g, fiber 6g, fat 1g, cholesterol 0, sodium 540mg.