Like this recipe? Sign up for the vegetarian recipe of the week newsletter to get one fantastic vegetarian recipe delivered to your inbox each week.
- 3/4 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth (divided)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube (optional
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (or to taste, optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
Add the beans and 2 cups of water or into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain the beans and set aside.
Sautee the onions and garlic in vegetable oil until onions are soft, about 4-6 minutes.
Add the beans, remaining water or vegetable broth, bay leaves, bouillon cube, oregano, hot sauce, salt, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 hours, or until the beans are done cooking.
Remove and discard the bay leaves. Enjoy your easy homemade black beans from scratch! That wasn't too hard, now was it?