Recipe and photo courtesy of The Wheat Foods Council
- 1 eggplant, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 8 slices bread, buttered lightly on both sides
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Place eggplant and sweet bell peppers on grill (or on a baking sheet for the broiler), and season well with salt and pepper. Grill 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat.
Lightly grill bread on one side. Turn over to grill on opposite side, adding Mozzarella cheese to grilled side of four slices. Cheese should soften but not melt.
Layer eggplant and bell peppers on top of cheese, and add Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread. Serve immediately.
Nutrition: One sandwich provides approximately: 219 calories, 9 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 11 mg cholesterol, 76 mcg folate, 2 mg iron, 414 mg sodium.