This recipe can really be seen as a guideline since raw lettuce wraps can be filled with anything you like to eat. Generally the dipping sauce brings most of the flavor, but you could simply substitue nama shoyu for dipping to save time. Pates, spreads and raw cheeses also make great fillings for raw lettuce wraps.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 lettuce wraps
- 8 large leaves of lettuce, red or green leaf, romaine, or butterhead work great
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 beet, shredded
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut in half and then into long strips
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup sprouts, such as sunflower, clover, mustard
- Optional other ingredients: sliced avocado, shredded jicama, thinly sliced apple or pear, green onion, sliced celery, tomato wedges
- One batch Raw Pineapple Chili Dipping Sauce
The easiest way to serve these is to arrange all of the ingredients on a plate or platter and let everyone make their own.
Otherwise, pile all the filler ingredients on to a lettuce leaf, wrap, roll and eat!
Serve the Pineapple Chili Dipping Sauce in a separate bowl. Enjoy your interactive raw food appetizer!