Making raw chai will have you heading for the blender on a regular basis. The combination of ginger, spices and rich nutty milk soothes, satisfies and leaves a memorable impression. If you don't have the whole spices, you can easily substitute ground spices though it may make the drink a wee bit more grainy. You may wish to soak the nuts ahead of time.
This Indian chai tea recipe is caffeine-free, vegan, and suitable for a raw food diet.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Soak Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 cups
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, almonds or other nuts
- 4 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons green cardamom pods or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns or pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced ginger
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or to taste
Place all of the ingredients except the agave nectar in a blender and blend on high speed for 30 to 40 seconds or until the nuts are thoroughly ground. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
Rinse the blender and pour the spiced nut milk back into it. Add the agave nectar, blend for a few seconds, taste and adjust any of the flavors or sweetener to your liking before serving.
Enjoy your raw food chai latte!