Raw rosemary basil olive tapenade makes an amazing, zesty spread for raw food sandwiches or wraps as well as a powerful dip for crudites or flax crackers. If you don't have a food processor you can use a mortar and pestle or just mince all of the ingredients until super fine. A raw food diet can consist of much more than salad and doesn't need to be as complicated as it appears in many raw food recipe books. Put your herbs to good use with this Italian favorite.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cups kalamata or other pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and mix on high speed until you reach a slightly chunky but thoroughly blended consistency.
1. You can change up the flavor by adding or substituting other fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme and oregano.
2. If you don't care for olives you can make a simple raw food pate by substituting an equal amount of chopped broccoli or cauliflower and adding a couple tablespoons of olive oil or water for moisture. You may want to add another 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt as well.