This raw chocolate shake recipe can be altered in countless ways. You can change the nuts, the spices, the sweetener, use bananas or omit them for a milky beverage, or add any flavors you love or happen to have on hand. The zest of an orange or a tablespoon of rosewater would make a lovely addition. Try adding or substituting other extracts such as cherry, raspberry, coffee or even butterscotch! A raw cacao beverage like this one, with all of it's variations, is sure to please the pickiest palate so be sure to use this raw chocolate recipe when raw food skeptics are coming over.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 cup raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia or other nuts
- 4 cups water
- 4 to 6 medjool dates, to taste
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, or to taste
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds only, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, to taste
- 2 bananas, raw or frozen, optional for thickness
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter, optional for decadence
1. Place the almonds and water in a blender and blend on high speed for 20 seconds. Pour through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, reserving the milk. Rinse out the blender and pour the milk back in.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the milk and blend for 20 seconds more or until everything is well incorporated and blended smooth. Taste and adjust the flavor if desired. This raw chocolate drink is best when served immediately. Otherwise refrigerate until you are ready to serve and reblend first.See also: What is raw cacao?