Make it lower in fat, cholesterol-free and vegan by using soy milk and omitting the Parmesan cheese.
If you enjoy this recipe, scroll down for more quick and easy Meatless Monday pasta dinners and one-dish meals.
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (or another small pasta shape)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp flour
- 2/3 cup dairy milk or soy milk
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Heat garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low, and add flour, stirring until a paste forms. Add soy milk, and heat until almost thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the spinach, white beans and cooked pasta, stirring until the sauce has thickened, the spinach has wilted, and the beans are thoroughly heated through.
Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste, and top it all off with fresh Parmesan cheese, if you'd like and you're not eating vegan.
That's it! Enjoy this tasty meat-free creamy spinach pasta meal!
Looking for more easy meatless pasta meals? Here's a few more to try:
- Cheesey one-dish vegetarian baked pasta
- Sun-dried tomato and walnut penne pasta
- Easy artichoke and tofu pasta recipe
- Low-fat angel hair pasta primavera
- Vegetarian pasta with olives and feta cheese
- Easy Southwestern macaroni and cheese with beans and tofu for kids
- More vegetarian and vegan dinner ideas