For more of Aurelie's healthy whole foods recipes, visit her blog at Eatinghealthaliciously.blogspot.com.
- 1/2 cup cashews, unsalted
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tbsp Montreal steak spice
- Cumin and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked yellow-eyed peas
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup baked corn chips
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried rosemary
In a grinder, grind the cashews into a paste. Transfer the cashews to a mixing bowl and stir in the vegetable broth and seasonings. Use a handheld blender to blend until smooth, then stir in the beans, pepper, onion, and garlic.
Transfer the bean mixture to an oiled 8 x 8 pan, cover, and bake for an hour in the preheated oven. Meanwhile, grind the bread, chips, and cashews into an uniform mixture.
When beans are done baking, remove them from the oven, stir in the rosemary, and sprinkle on the crumb topping. Return the casserole to the oven uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. Serve!
Makes 6 servings of vegetarian bean casserole.
Aurelie offers these tips: