- 6 medium firm ripe tomatoes, about 7 to 8 ounces each
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup softened, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsps chopped herbs, such as basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 1 tsp olive oil
Cut 1/2 inch off tops of tomatoes. Remove pulp from tomato with small knife, leaving a thick shell for filling and being careful not to cut through bottoms. Chop pulp and reserve 1/2 cup.
Sautee onion, pepper and garlic in olive oil until almost tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, reserved tomato pulp, baked beans and vinegar. Cook until hot.
Fill reserved tomato shells with bean mixture. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until tomatoes are cooked.