Vegetarian "chicken" pot pie recipe courtesy of Chef Tal Ronnen.
- 1 package Gardein vegetarian chicken scallopini, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 6 cups vegan chicken stock
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 3/4 tsp thyme, minced
- 3/4 tsp sage, minced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2-4 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine (Tal recommends Earth Balance)
- 1 puff pastry sheet rolled out to by 12x10 inches
Brown gardein scallopini in a sautee pan with 1 tablespoon canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside. To make a roux, melt the vegan margarine in a saute pan, add flour and whisk constantly until light brown in color. Cool and set aside.
In a 5.5 qt. stock pot, cook onions in canola oil for 3 minutes and add carrots, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add already boiling stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in nutritional yeast flakes.
Add the roux a bit at a time and continue to cook as sauce begins to thicken. Stir in gardein scallopini, tamari and peas. Pour mixture into a large shallow pan to cool.
Once mixture is cool, pour into individual ramekins, glass pie pan or small casserole dish. Cover mixture with puff pastry (be sure to leave a small excess of pastry for folding and fluting of the edge) and seal edges. Cut small slits.
Bake for 35 min or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.