- 1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur wheat
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter or vegan margarine
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1/8 cup dried)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Remove from heat; let stand, for 5 more minutes. Drain.
Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautee mushrooms, onions and peppers until onions are clear and soft. Remove from heat.
Add lemon juice, wine, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
Combine with bulgur and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional information: Each serving provides approximately: 145 calories; 4 g protein; 23 g carbohydrates; 6 g fiber; 5 g fat (3 g saturated); 12 mg cholesterol; 20 mcg folate; 1 mg iron; 342 mg sodium.