Recipe courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
- 2 cups chopped onion, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red pepper, fresh or frozen
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 15.8 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups Monterey Jack and Cheddar blend cheese shredded
- 3 tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
Combine onion pepper, garlic, salsa, cumin and black beans in large skillet and bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
Arrange 6 tortillas in bottom of 9" x 13" baking dish overlapping them as necessary. Spread half of bean mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layering process with remaining tortillas, bean mixture and cheese.
Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and serve warm.
Garnish with tomatoes, sour cream and olives.
Makes 8 servings of Mexican enchilada casserole.
Nutritional Information per Serving: (excluding optional ingredients)
Fat: 11.5 grams
Fiber: 21.4 grams
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Protein: 34.9 grams
Vitamin A: 24% , Vitamin C: 51%, Calcium: 40%, Iron: 39%
If you like this easy Mexican casserole recipe, scroll down for more meatless vegetarian casserole recipes to try.