Recipe courtesy of the Soy Food Council
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (14oz) cans vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
- 6 ounces soy sausage links, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted soy nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
Add onion, green pepper and celery. Cook 10 minutes. Stir in Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Add vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in tofu, sausage, okra, tomatoes and soy nuts. Simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in filé powder. Serve in a bowl with a mound of rice.
Makes six servings of vegetarian gumbo.