Recipe and photo courtesy of the Soy Foods Council
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared polenta
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup TVP flakes (Texturized Vegetable Protein)
- water to rehydrate TVP
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Remove polenta from packaging and cut it into 1/4-inch slices. Place half of the slices onto the bottom of a 9×9-inch casserole dish.
In a medium, heat-proof bowl, cover TVP with hot water and allow to sit, covered, for 8-10 minutes, until rehydrated; or according to package directions.
Add TVP to marinara sauce and spread half of it over polenta slices in casserole dish. Top with half of the chopped basil and half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Make another layer with remaining polenta, marinara, and cheeses.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cheeses are lightly browned.
Remove casserole from oven and top with fresh basil.
Makes 6 servings.