is a popular vegetarian meat substitute that has been eaten in Asian countries for generations. If you're new to cooking with seitan, here's some easy vegetarian and vegan seitan recipes for you to try.
Vegetarian and Vegan Seitan Recipes
- Mexican Seitan Fajitas Colorful vegetarian seitan fajitas look just like real meat, but are, of course, lower in fat and cholesterol-free. Pictured.
- Meaty Sauteed Seitan Seitan is sauteed in a mixture of barbecue sauce and vinegar for a meaty flavor.
Vegetarian Crockpot Chow Mein with Seitan This Chinese chow mein recipe with seitan is a vegetarian crock pot recipe that you can prepare in the morning and leave in the crock pot all day. I don't really like water chestnuts, so sometimes I add cashews during the last few minutes of cooking instead.
Vegetarian Southern Fried "Chicken" This recipe isn't healthy by any means, but it sure is good! Deep fried seitan and a blend of spices create a dish that's really quite similar in appearance and taste to chicken!
- Chinese-style Stir Fry with Seitan and Hoisin Sauce Using hoisin sauce is a great way to quickly add flavor to a simple stir-fry. This stir-fry recipe calls for seitan, broccoli and bell peppers.
- Super-meaty seitan meat substitute A meat-like seitan recipe flavored with soy sauce and barbecue sauce that you can add to stir-fries, use to make sandwiches or just gobble up right out of the pan.
- Vegetarian "Beef" and Guinness Stew Irish beef and Guinness stew, a popular Irish pub meal gets a makeover in this recipe, using seitan instead of beef.
- One Pot Crockpot Rice Pilaf With seitan for protein along with rice and veggies, this pilaf is a full meal in one pot. This simple vegetarian and vegan crock pot meal simmers all day in flavorful broth and wine.
- Crock pot Seitan Stew If you like a traditional meat and potatoes stew, try this vegetarian version with seitan. It's got the same flavor but is lower in fat and cholesterol-free.
- Vegetarian Grilled Seitan with Curry A vegetarian and vegan barbecue recipe, perfect for your summer or holiday cookout. This seitan recipe is also Indian inspired, with a strong curry flavor.
- Seitan and Barley Pilaf Whole grain barley can be used in many recipes just like rice. This recipe with seitan uses broth and fresh herbs to add maximum flavor to the barley and is both vegetarian and vegan.
- Basic BBQ Flavored Seitan You don't have to get fancy to make seitan taste fabulous! This simple recipe is tasty on its own or in a sandwich.
- Spicy Seitan Buffalo Wings Seitan, fried in spices and coated in hot sauce makes for a vegetarian and vegan substitute for tradtional pub buffalo wings.
- Creole-Style Seitan In this Creole-inspired recipe, seitan is simmered with cayenne, okra and Tabasco sauce and served over rice.
- Curried Grilled Seitan Kabobs A vegetarian and vegan barbecue recipe, perfect for your summer or holiday cookout. This seitan recipe is also Indian inspired, with a strong curry flavor.
- Barbecue Tandoori Seitan There's nothing like slow-cooked Indian tandoori! This vegetarian and vegan recipe uses seitan and soy yogurt for a barbecued version you can make on your outdoor grill. Barbecued tandoori-style seitan makes for an unusal dish to bring to a barbecue or a picnic.
- Zesty Barbecued Seitan This easy barbecued seitan recipe uses seitan marinated in white wine.
- Easy Seitan "Hot Wings" An easy seitan recipe with a touch of sweetness and lots of spice!
- European seitan stew A macrobiotic-inspired recipe with full flavors developed by burgundy wine, celery, and fresh herbs.
- More vegetarian recipes