If you've got rock-hard avocados and can't wait to make homemade guacamole, there's a few things you can do to make your avocados get soft quicker.
- Place 2-3 avocados in a brown paper bag and store at room temperature. If you don't have paper bags on hand, wrapping them in newspaper will also do.
- For even quicker ripening, add an apple or a tomato to the bag.
- Check daily to see if avocados are ripe yet. Don't just judge by their color, as some varieties will retain their green color, even when ripe, rather than turning a deep greenish brown.
- Ripe avocados will peel easily and are soft, yet still firm and not squishy.
- Extra Tip: If your avocados are ripening before you have a chance to eat them, place them in the crisper of your refrigerator, as this will help them keep a bit longer once they are ripe.
Homemade Guacamole, 8 Ways
Red Pepper Gazpacho Soup
Avocado and Chili Soup
Crunchy Fettucine with Avocado
Black Bean Guacamole
Avocado and Pesto Pasta Recipe
Southwestern Bean and Corn Salad
Italian Pasta Salad with Avocado and Artichokes
Avocado Fudge Recipe
Fresh Guacamole with Cumin
Avocado nutritional information: Fat, calories and more