1. Food

Jolinda Hackett

Oprah Goes Vegan!

By May 25, 2008

Well, for 21 days at least! The queen of all media, Oprah Winfrey, has has committed to follow a vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free diet, called "the Cleanse diet" for 21 days. For the next 3 weeks, Oprah will be introduced to some foods that we vegetarians already know and love. Her scheduled menu plan includes tofu scramble, tempeh, quinoa salad and even some raw food recipes! Of course, she's Oprah, and has one of the country's best vegan chefs at her every beck and call, but some of the vegan and gluten-free recipes that Oprah will be eating on her cleanse diet have been posted on her website (see the links below) for all of us to try.

Oprah is easily one of the most influential people in the world, particularly when it comes to shaping culture, and this will surely push the vegan diet even further into the mainstream, which can only mean good things. But still I wonder what the outcome will be. Celebrity trends tend to be as fleeting as our collective American attention span, and although Oprah is not just any celebrity, something tells me that Oprah is probably not quite ready to go vegan for life. At any rate, I wish her the best of luck and hope that whatever happens, she learns to love healthy vegetarian food, and that she shares this love with her mega-audiences. I plan on following her odyssey closely, especially since she's been blogging about her experiences every day.

Related Links:
Oprah's Vegan "Cleanse" Diet Blog
Oprah's Menu Plan and Vegan "Cleanse" Recipes

Photo licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License

Comments

May 26, 2008 at 3:31 pm
(1) arainbowfeeling says:

um , i just think this is good news that shes doing this , and i hope that she continues with her blog . . .

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm
(2) selkie says:

I’m not that clear on why a vegan diet is cleansing. Soy is one of the most allergenic foods around.
I have Celiac disease, and am allergic to casein and to soy. I can get away with dairy once in awhile but tempe will make me sick for several days (and I love it…)
Vegan is fine for people with no soy allergies but it is heavily soy based cuisine. We wonder why there are so many allergies… overexpose yourself to one food product constantly (like soy if you are vegan) and there you are…

May 27, 2008 at 12:43 am
(3) Eden says:

It is quite possible to be vegan and not eat soy. Soy products are in a lot of processed foods, sure, but those are as easy to avoid as anything else.

I can eat soy without problems so I don’t specifically go out of my way to avoid it. It’s not, however, the main staple of my diet. I just make sure I’m eating a good balance of foods.

May 27, 2008 at 1:36 am
(4) KATHY says:

do you have any recipes for raw vegan lifestylers?
thanks

May 27, 2008 at 10:44 am
(5) Kathy says:

This is great Ophah! I have been a pescatarian since Dec 07, it is challenging trying to get the right proteins in my diet and I’m on Weight Watchers. My family just cannot believe that I don’t eat meat anymore. They still want me to offer up my home for bbq – no way! I do however eat fish and shell fish. I am willing to try a vegan way, I love tofu and have used it in a few dishes. 21 days is not very long, I’m half way there, because I don’t drink coffee or alcohol, no meat – so I just need to give up the sugar (candy) and gluden-free my eating habits. Thank you for this journey.

May 27, 2008 at 11:58 pm
(6) Mindy says:

Kathy, it’s great that you have cut out other forms of meat, but fish is still meat, it is the flesh of a dead animal.

May 29, 2008 at 12:17 am
(7) Eden says:

Kathy – try Jennifer Cornbleet: http://www.learnrawfood.com/index.html

She has a few recipes on her site, but her cookbook is really great — simple, tasty recipes.

March 19, 2009 at 4:30 am
(8) Vin says:

If you want to be a Vegan, but worried about variety, taste or Soyabean allergy ; then head straight to Indian Vegetarian food. In India, specially Gujarati cuisine is 100% vegetarian. Indian Vegetarian includes Dairy products. Gujarati Hindus are traditionally 100% Vegetarian and hence their cuisine is quiet evolved with wide & excellent varieties.
And, Gujarati thali ( thali means a big plate. In thali you can have 25 different variety of small preparations. Gujarati Hindus offer 56 variety of preparation to Lord Krishna during special occasions and it’s called ChhappanBhog – Chhappan means fifty six and bhog means to have pleasure – in this sense it’s food ).

Even South Indian food is rich with Veg. varieties ( which is altogether is different cuisine ) and Punjabi Vegetarian dishes offer tremendous Veg. food options.

If you are Vegan or want to be Vegan but worried about Veg. Options then just go through some Indian Veg. Cuisine online receipes or books. India has mind boggling Veg. food varieties, only you should know it , taste it and savour it for whole life.

October 21, 2013 at 10:43 pm
(9) j Jones says:

Oh man I DO NOT want to think about Oprah cleansing her vegan

April 17, 2014 at 6:39 am
(10) Violet Krudop says:

I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before. Feel free to surf to my weblog to.