1. Food

A generous amount of spices, along with beans, barley and veggies make this soup tasty and filling, not to mention healthy and low-fat. I love the chewey texture of barley, and the addition of beans and veggies means there's a lot going on in this soup. It really is a meal in itself!

Recipe: Bean and Barley Soup
See also: What is barley? Cooking with barley

More Barley Soup and Barley Recipes:

Comments

May 22, 2006 at 12:07 pm
(1) Karen says:

I was sickened to see an advertisement for Ruth’s Chris Steak House with a huge slab of dead cow on your vegetarian pages. What were you thinking? PLEASE have a little compassion for the folks that use your vegetarian pages, not to mention a little compassion for the poor cows! Thank you.

May 23, 2006 at 3:04 pm
(2) vegetarian says:

Hi Karen- Thanks for pointing this out. This is a fault of the Google ad server that About.com uses. I have reported the problem, and hopefully the ad will be removed ASAP (along with another ad for chicken that appears once in a while).

September 5, 2009 at 12:05 pm
(3) ForReal says:

Grow a spine, Karen.

September 22, 2009 at 11:48 am
(4) hales says:

yeah really karen. come on.

February 5, 2010 at 9:56 am
(5) mama gina says:

in the words of the great Bob Marley…Simmer down, you lickin’ too hot, so
Simmer down, soon you’ll get dropped, so
Simmer down, can you hear what I say
Simmer down…

simmer down people…thanks karen for taking the time to share your experiences + passion on your blog…the rest of these ppl clearly are ignorant to how the machinery + process of how Google handles ad placement. Stay strong + may your light shine even more brightly from the heat of the flames…nuh watch dem war mongers and critics posting on this page…walk good

March 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(6) Ali says:

Vegetarians shouldn’t shun carnivores… It’s reality. These recipes are great!!

August 4, 2010 at 6:31 pm
(7) Rapscalion says:

Yeah, karen, what’s wrong with you and you big old worries about animal suffering and their cruel and painful deaths? Get a grip, geez.

October 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm
(8) carol dwyer says:

not one person explained that bloggers like karen do not have a choice which ads google inserts. More things are accomplished by calm “inter-course”, not by emotional attacks or name calling.

November 10, 2010 at 8:56 am
(9) Barrymore says:

My goodness, Karen.

February 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(10) Sam says:

Ok, some of you are missing the part where the first comment was serious and the rest were being facetious. Chillax :)

November 3, 2011 at 11:26 am
(11) Maynard says:

“Karen” was the name of the first commentor, not the recipe poster. So, thank you poster. Karen, shut up.

…”chillax”.

December 5, 2011 at 6:29 am
(12) lisa says:

JESUS YOU SEE WHO EATS MEAT .. MOST OF YOU HAVE MAD COWS DIESEASE!!

January 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(13) Rob says:

Im a meat eater, and the other day on a meat recipe page i saw an advert for sweetcorn….. I absolutely detest sweetcorn so I posted a message on the boards of their site and asked them to remove it, and then invited the other users of the site to shun all the people who like sweetcorn…..

Thought I was the first one to do this crazy thing….

The recipe here though looks good, im off to the kitchen to see what I can rustle up..

February 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(14) Slinky says:

Way too much intolerance here for compassionate people, and possibly insufficient compassion for the morally feeble…even the comments that were meant to be ironic were in poor taste. My impression is that since no one can be tracked down and held to their word, anything goes. Grow up, folks.

April 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(15) Bella says:

Live and Let Live! People have to much time:)

December 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm
(16) Geoff says:

Oh Karen, I was having a nice day until I read your comment. Thanks a million :-(

September 8, 2013 at 10:07 am
(17) bumbles says:

To Karen – you sound bitter. We are all here to discuss soup. Why ruin that?

To mama gina – why don’t YOU simmer down, you’re cookin too hot. Simmer down, like chicken in a pot.